Thursday, March 22, 2018

Yoga Defined Through Practice

I learned a lot of things between my last two yoga classes. Yesterday was a fantastic class for me. I was not anymore flexible or stronger than I was my last class. Physically, I had not made much progress. Mentally, I let go. Mentally, I focused on my breath and allowed my body to become free. I let my head tilt back a little farther and breathed a little deeper in my postures, and that allowed me to really think of my alignment and place my body in the proper positions to benefit my body without causing it harm.

My teacher was making me bend in ways that was painful, but we were laughing. She was showing me the proper ways to bend my back without injuries. We were all having a great practice even though we could hear the hale pelting the windows around us.

I think this was the first class where I truly learned about yoga. Not the physical practice, but what it meant to me. It was the first time I looked behind me and focused for balance rather than looking forward and staying comfortable.

My yoga teacher teaches me that yoga is more than some pretty bend or inversion that looks good on social media. That its not about just making myself stronger. I am beginning to find myself in this practice. I am beginning to trust my body and breathe when the situations a little tough. I've been using that practice in more with just yoga- in my rock climbing, stresses in school, work.

Yoga benefits more than just yoga.

1 comment:

  1. its the same as rock climbing. focus and problem solving that demand attention

    ReplyDelete